Editing PDFs

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Thu Jul 31 14:34:08 PDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Declan. Moriarty wrote:

> > I use xfig for this. Click on the picture icon. Make a box. Point to
> > the pdf.  It will come in the wrong size, but there is a button on the
> > dialog box that says "Use origingal size".  The click on text (a big
> > T). Go the bottom of the screen and select the font you want. Set the
> > size to 9 or 10. Let me know if you have problems.
>
> Anybody with xfig willing to try that please?

Yep. I can't import pdf into xfig, but this might be a problem with my
config. I can import ps however (and xpdf will happily convert
pdftops), and so I did.

Importing multipage ps files does lead to strange results, as all the
pages are printed on top of each other. Not what you want. Single page
files work fine, albeit the fonts are rendered very badly.

So I was opening a single page ps file, writing some text on it, and
exporting it to ps again. The result is /magnificent/. The outcome and
the original are indistinguishable (except for my stupid additional
text). This /just works/.

For your verification, I have put both files up on the 'web:

	http://uli.dyndns.org/abs.ps
and
	http://uli.dyndns.org/declan.ps

Installing xfig is covered neither in BLFSBook nor in hints, but
except for some Imakefile editing it is rather straightforward. I can
publish my build instructions if you wish.

uli

--
Uli Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli