[LONG] Maintaining several identical installations of (B)LFS

Guenter Hopf qe1 at qe1.org
Thu Jul 31 00:26:24 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 06:50, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> How should I do updates on the server? Will rsync against an updated
> workstation help?
yes it will help. you could run rsync from an init script, as soon as
the network is up. if you dont update the machines too frequently, you
could do it the other way round (i.e. running rsyncd on every machine
and starting the process from the machine you updated when the update is
done)

> How much time will it take to run rsync from boot scripts? Is it possible to
> tell it to ignore certain directories?

hard to tell, depends on how much data you want to sync. i'm using it to
backup my webserver via the internet, it takes less than 1 minute to
sync 1.6GB of data over a 2mbit line with 3 parallel rsync processes.
you can include / exclude any files and directories you like in rsyncd's
config file.

cheers,
guenter

--
Kiss that frog, and you will get your prince... 8)

ICQ # 33638817           ---   jabber: qe1 at home.qe1.org
e-mail: qe1 at qe1.org      ---         http://www.qe1.org