[LONG] Maintaining several identical installations of (B)LFS

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Wed Jul 30 22:12:19 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 23:34, richard at nezumi.plus.com wrote:
> On 2003-07-30 19:58:17 +0000, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> > So I would like to know what is used by you for similar tasks (keeping
> > several installations of BLFS identical).
>
> I have Intel and AMD machines, with the code optimized for the right
> CPU. To keep the machines similar, all installations are scripted,
> and the script gets run on each machine.

My friend copied my NFS-root installation on his hard drive, and the only
change was in /etc/fstab so it is no longer NFS-root. That worked, although
his hardware was a bit different (in fact, a notebook).

> You could set up a script that uses ssh to run a script on each machine
> in turn that copies a list of files from an NFS mount of the upgraded
> system to root. You can generate the list of files once on the upgraded
> machine with: find / -cnewer FILE ...

This will fail because almost always there are at least two Windows users that
will prevent me from SSHing into the computers they occupy.

> You could try intermezzo, (handles updates for multiple servers serving
> the same files, and caching on the clients), but using multiple servers
> on a network with a hub instead of a switch will quickly run into
> bandwidth limitations.

Will investigate this.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov