[LONG] Maintaining several identical installations of (B)LFS

felipe caicedo afcero at main-task.com
Wed Jul 30 20:11:39 PDT 2003

El Mié 30 Jul 2003 12:47, Dagmar d'Surreal escribió:
> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 08:58, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > the problem is as follows. In the classroom, we have 15 computers which
> > must have both Windows 2000 (maybe we'll move to XP) and Linux (of
> > course, from scratch). While maintaining Windows installation is not
> > among my duties, I have to ensure that the installations of Linux are
> > good and as identical as possible (there are some hardware differences).
>
> _Why_ from scratch?  When trying to maintain numerous machines, building
> everything from scratch is no longer a sane and reasonable option.  You
> need to either start using a packaging tool (like rpm or something) or
> just give in and use a canned distro like Mandrake.

I think optimization is not the only reason to use LFS.

I worked a lot to get an LFS system which could be moved to any machine
without have to recompile everything, and without have installed any other
system on the target machine.

The result was a bootable cd with a 5 Mb initrd and a unique LFS 4.0 tar.gz
package inside which lets perform an installation as any other linux
distribution. The only aditional thing I made was to recompile the kernel to
get specific processor and loopback interface support for each machine.

I used it to build a little three machines PVM's cluster to work on image
processing with a webcam and V4l.

So I think that when you need linux in various machines and you like it from
scratch there are many ways to do it, even if you don't want to recompile
everything.

Felipe