[LONG] Maintaining several identical installations of (B)LFS

richard at nezumi.plus.com richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Jul 30 10:34:48 PDT 2003

On 2003-07-30 19:58:17 +0000, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> So I would like to know what is used by you for similar tasks (keeping several
> installations of BLFS identical).

I have Intel and AMD machines, with the code optimized for the right
CPU. To keep the machines similar, all installations are scripted,
and the script gets run on each machine.

You could set up a script that uses ssh to run a script on each machine
in turn that copies a list of files from an NFS mount of the upgraded
system to root. You can generate the list of files once on the upgraded
machine with: find / -cnewer FILE ...

You could try intermezzo, (handles updates for multiple servers serving
the same files, and caching on the clients), but using multiple servers
on a network with a hub instead of a switch will quickly run into
bandwidth limitations.

Richard