bashrc doesn't set alias

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Wed Jul 30 10:19:20 PDT 2003

Am Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2003 18:55 schrieb Jason and Kristi Cowan:

> I fixed it by adding "source /etc/bashrc" to the end of /etc/profile,
> but I don't know if that is a good way to get the job done or not.

> Any thoughts?

If bash is the only login shell used on your system there is
actually no need to keep /etc/profile "shell agnostic". So you
could put the stuff from /etc/bashrc directly into /etc/profile.

If different shells are used for logging in, i would have
/etc/profile check which shell it is read by and then
source the the appropriate rc-file.

Michael