[LONG] Maintaining several identical installations of (B)LFS

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Wed Jul 30 09:59:55 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 22:29, Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 07:58:17PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov
> enlightened us thusly
>
> > Hi all, the problem is as follows. In the classroom, we have 15
> > computers which must have both Windows 2000 (maybe we'll move to XP)
> > and Linux (of course, from scratch).
>
> [snip]
>
> 1. DO NOT move to XP, unless you want to drive everyone on to linux ;-)

I was told that Windows 2000 or XP is in the obligatory minimum signed by the
minister of education (Linux is not there). Anyway, it's not my job.

> 2. There is rarely a software solution to insufficient or limited
> hardware. It sounds like that is what you have got. You can only
> optimise the performance of the things. Personally, if the network is
> clogging, I'd look at options to keep traffic off.

That's why I am searching for a solution for synchronizing the software
updates on all clients without using NFS root. I am too lazy to install
Slackware packages made by checkinstall on one computer manually onto all
other computers. Some computers may be busy running Windows while I plan to
do so. And it is easy to forget where I e.g. added a new SAMBA printer to
CUPS configuration and where I didn't. My goal is to make computers, not me,
worry about the software and settings being identical. NFS-root is THE
solution if the network is fast enough (that probably means gigabit
ethernet).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov