bashrc doesn't set alias

Jason and Kristi Cowan kj_cowan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 09:55:47 PDT 2003

My " alias ls='ls --color=auto' " wasn't being set from /etc/bashrc when I logged in.  I took a look at the man page for bash and it says that bash reads /etc/profile then check for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login and ~/.profile and read the first one that it finds.  If bash is started as an interactive non-login shell, it reads ~/.bashrc.  Nowhere was /etc/bashrc mentioned in the man page, that I could find.  According to the book V1.0 II.3 The Bash Shell Startup Files the alias goes in /etc/bashrc along with any global aliases and functions that the admin wants to set, but it appears that /etc/bashrc is never looked at by bash.  Did I miss the boat on this one, or is there a problem?

I fixed it by adding "source /etc/bashrc" to the end of /etc/profile, but I don't know if that is a good way to get the job done or not.

Any thoughts?

Jason Cowan

P.S. How do you search the mailing list archives?  Do I have to download them, then use grep, or is there a web interface to search through them?