OO experts?? (was Editing PDFs)

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Jul 30 06:52:12 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:58:40AM -0700, Allen Crider enlightened us
thusly
> Declan. Moriarty wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:29:15PM +0800, NG WEY HAN enlightened us
> > thusly

> >> I believe you need to turn on an option in OO to see the underlying
> >> eps.  Check under OO's "option/preference | view" to see if there
> >> is anything you can turn on for OO to display the content instead
> >> of just the frame. I don't have a copy of OO lying around so I
> >> can't verify where in OO you set this option.
> >>
> >> Also, you might want to try to open a new document and paste from
> >> file. I am not sure about opening it in OO is what you really want
> >> but might work for you.
> >>
> >> HTH.
> >
> > Well, It's the usual OO story.
> >
> > Looking for one option, I found 5000 or so. I checked a few aned
> > unchecked a few but none looked the least like what you want,
> > although what you are saying is perfectly reasonable.
> >
> > I shut OO and reopened it just to be sure, before loading an .eps
> > file.  No dice.
>
> I went through the process and discovered that OO doesn't render an
> eps preview unless a preview is included inside the eps file itself.
> Ghostscript doesn't seem to create a preview, and pdf2eps doesn't
> either.

Thanks - I'm still on OO-1.03.1. I haven't got pdf2eps, but that saves
me trying it. I am rapidly falling out of love with the eps format.

> I fired up Scribus and it not only imported (and generated a preview)
> but also imported the first page of a pdf file.

I can't fire up Scribus. I don't have kde; It wants qt with threads to
configure and I can't compile that (see Separate thread). It looks like
I would have to build gcc-3.x to build qt, (& perhaps kde?) to build
scribus. I would send you the doc as a ps and plead except this is only
a nicety, and not any form of necessity. When I update to lfs 5.0 I'll
do all these things right ;-)

> Scribus is a KDE desktop publishing app and recently released version
> 1.0.  It isn't very good for long documents, but for most other things
> it is fine.  http://freshmeat.net/projects/scribus/?topic_id=63

One of the tangents on this thread (Of which there were a large number)
concerned scribus and what it could and couldn't do. It does import a
one page pdf, does it? What I have is a 2 page pdf that I shortened to a
one page .ps by printing to file, and then used ps2eps.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.