uptime from sh-utils broken? (was: Re: uptime & w)

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Wed Jul 30 04:47:11 PDT 2003

On 30 Jul 2003, Guenter Hopf wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 09:29, Ulrich Fahrenberg wrote:

<snip>
> > # w
> >  20:53:54 up 29 days, 12:19,  2 users,  load average: 1.02, 0.68, 0.29
> > <snip>
> >
> > # uptime
> > uptime: couldn't get boot time: No such file or directory
> >
> > Apparently uptime is trying to get its information from another place
> > than w, but /where/?

> /proc/uptime
> /proc/loadavg
> /proc/stat

Thanks, all there. Why didn't I look for /proc/uptime before I posted?

The problem is that my uptime is the one from sh-utils-2.0, not from
procps-3.1.8 (as it would be if I had a standard 4.1 install). The
procps-uptime works like a snap here, but shutils-uptime does not.

This might also shed some light on the recent lfs-dev discussion
whether The Book should use the uptime from procps-3 or coreutils:
Is it only me, or is the shutils/coreutils version of uptime broken?
(And if it's only me, why?)

uli

--
Uli Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli