dhclient or dhcpcd ?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jul 30 01:04:27 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 21:38, layman wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am using BLFS, and i am doing a Automated script for
> makeing DHCP net connection, So the following data is
> required.
>
> Which is best for Dynamic IP network connection
> dhclient or dhcpcd.
>
> Does dhcpcd support only the limited number of ISPs ?
>
> Does dhclient can support all the ISPS ?
>
> what the pros and conso of the two ?

You are way overthinking this.

Clients, for one, do not support ISPs.  They implement the specification
laid down by the protocol as set forth in the RFCs.[1]  The ISPs servers
support the protocol, and the client software supports the protocol, so
things just work.

Either client will work just fine, and a choice between the two is
ultimately going to come down to one of personal taste.  Between the two
I generally prefer dhclient because you can extend it's behaviours quite
a bit through readily available shell script hooks.  That's about the
only semi-unique point between them.  Either of the clients will work
fine for what you wish to accomplish, but just remember what I said
about the scripting hooks in dhclient because you might wind up needing
that if you're doing some stuff with non-writeable filesystems.

[1] The RFCs relating to DHCP and BOOTP are actually pretty readable,
not overly long, and recommended reading for anyone serious about using
DHCP on their network.