Doubt regarding ATI-radeon

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 29 03:43:28 PDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, layman wrote:

> hi,
>
> (1) To make an ATI RADEON card work in X mode.
> Should I NEED Kernel-support enabled for DRM (OR) just
> compiling X and
> configuring Video is enough.

 In the kernel, enable drm but don't bother building the module for the
radeon, because X-4.3 needs a more recent version of the interface.  X
will work without dri, but anything that could use it (glxgears is the
easiest example, included in X) will will be a lot slower than when it's
enabled.

> (2) ATI-radeon works by DRM , does the 'NV'  driver
> (for nvidia) from xfree86 also
> works by DRM ??  Since i find nvidia not supported by
> DRI in its status
> page(dri.sf.net)

 I know nothing about nv.

Ken