dhcp client question.

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jul 28 13:21:49 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 12:42, DJ Lucas wrote:

(snippage)
> Each of my opinions can be countered quite easily.  First, don't buy
> cheap routers etc.... This issue has been fixed anyways (that was over
> two years ago) and it was a problem with the router's firmware I
> believe.  Second, it's options are not really more difficult to
> understand, just different.

Actually, I'd argue that they _were_ more difficult to understand... Now
there's `man dhclient.conf` which has examples in it.  :)

> Third, dhclient has an even better option
> to pass information to a script than dhcpcd does...I don't know anything
> about this option, personally, but the documentation is there.  Fourth,
> others would say that it stands to reason to get get both client and
> server in the same package.

Actually, the better reason is that it ensures that both the client and
the server packages will be "on the same page" about each and every
packet that's sent, since they use the exact same data structures
courtesy of having the same source headers.

> What I'd suggest is to take a look at the manpages or info's on each one
> and make a choice, or just try them both out.  Others may see things
> differently, or know more.

Pretty much so long as one isn't using pump (a.k.a suck) you really
can't go wrong.  Although dhclient is the one I tell people to go with
if they need something special, like the ability to update a website
when their IP changes, etc.