dhcp client question.

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jul 28 12:29:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 06:29, Ng, Wey-Han wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was following the blfs book and see that there are two dhcp client provided
> and one of them comes together with the dhcp server package (namely
> dhclient). However, I find no explanation or reason for not using the dhclient
> that came with the dhcpd. Though, I am very sure there is one or else the
> book will not have mention dhcpcd at all, nor will most distribution I have
> come across be using dhcpcd.
>
> So my question is, apart from being a preference thing, why would
> someone choose dhcpcd over dhclient? Security? Ease of usage?

Mainly because they were originally using dhcpcd because it only came
with a client, and never bothered to change.

ISC's dhcp package is handy because it is practically a reference
implementation of both a client and a server.  It also has probably the
most flexible client of any of them due to being able to call an
external shell script at any point one needs.

Of course, some distros use tools like pump, and they're using them
because they wrote them and if they stopped using them they would
finally be admitting they're crap.