modprobe err. at startup

thunderben at free.fr thunderben at free.fr
Mon Jul 28 11:04:35 PDT 2003

Hi list,

I have an Adaptec AHA3940 UWD PCI-SCSI card with an AIC 7882U chip, and I want
to load driver as a module.

So, during kernel compilation, I added :
 - built-in SCSI support (for HDs and CDs),
 - low-level driver aic7xxx as a module

Plus, as indicated in SCSI-2.4-HOWTO, I added "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx"
in /etc/modules.conf.
I updated "modules.dep" with depmod command, aic7xxx.o is listed inside !

I checked with dmesg if every thing goes well, but I found in boot log :
"
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
"

And I can access my scsi hd !

The most strange is when I type "modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter" (with or
without -s -k),
module is loaded and scsi drive is accessible !!

At this point, Am I wrong ?
Did I missed something ?

I found on the net that this problem is referenced several time, but no
solutions :o(

I think I could add a rcxx script, but that don't look "politicaly correct".
What does lfs community think about that ?

Thanks
Benoît