SCSI modules

Didier didierj.richard at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 28 08:57:37 PDT 2003

Benoit a écrit:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an Adaptec AHA3940 UWD PCI-SCSI card with an AIC 7882U chip, and I want to load driver as a module.
>
> So, during kernel compilation, I added :
>  - built-in SCSI support (for HDs and CDs),
>  - low-level driver aic7xxx as a module
>
> Plus, as indicated in SCSI-2.4-HOWTO, I added "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" in /etc/modules.conf.
> I updated "modules.dep" with depmod command, aic7xxx.o is listed inside !
>

> I checked with dmesg if every thing goes well, but I found in boot log :
> "
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
> "
>
> And I can access my scsi hd !

You *can* or you can not ?

> The most strange is when I type "modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter" (with or without -s -k),
> module is loaded and scsi drive is accessible !!
>

> What's wrong ?
> Did I missed something ?

Do you actually *boot* with this new kernel ?
Adding modules isn't enough, there are some pointers within the kernel
that need update, you should also boot with the new kernel image.

By the way :

alias   scsi_hostadapter        aic7xxx

is correct, I checked on my system.

Didier