XFree86 4.3.99.9 (cvs) & xfs

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Mon Jul 28 00:34:31 PDT 2003

Hi Bruce! Hi all!

On Monday 28 July 2003 02:59, you (Bruce Dubbs) wrote :
 > Yann E. MORIN wrote:
 > >I'm trying to get my X to use xfs instead of local' fonts.
 > I saw that you got it to work, but I'm curious.  Why do you wnat to use
 > xfs?  One of the XFree86 developers told me that there really isn't any
 > reason to use it anymore.  Are you trying to run remote X servers that
 > don't have local fonts?  That's about the only reason to use it any more.

Well, if I want to be content with what I have, great, X is almost 100%
functional. What was 'tough' (DRI, multihead,etc...) I manage with it.
So I'm happy!

But in the meantime, I want to learn, and this is the exact purpose of
my LFS system. And I'd like to use a font server just to know how to
run it, in case later I have a need for it. And again, managing only
one set of fonts for 'all' my machines would be nice. If I can get
administration more and more centralized, I'd be a bit more happy!

That sounds to me the same as having a print server on one machine and
using it from the networked machines, instead of unplugging the printer
and andering with it amongst the machnes needing it! ;-)

But you're right, if it takes too much to get it running, I'll revert
to 'local' fonts.

Thanks for the attention!

Regards,
Yann.

--
|  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN --- |