Autoloading chipset driver with modules.conf

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Sun Jul 27 12:27:36 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:49:11AM +0200, John Nielsen enlightened us
thusly
> On Friday 25 July 2003 20:34, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:32:45AM +0200, John Nielsen enlightened
> > us thusly
> >
> > > Hi...
> > >
> > > I have been trying for quite a long time now to get the IDE
> > > chipset drivers (via82cxxx and pdc202xx_old) to load automatically
> > > at start up just like we do with NIC's. I know that it is
> > > recommended to compile them into the kernel and all, but i really
> > > have no need for that and i prefer the module approach.  I guess
> > > the ideal thing would be for the modules to be loaded just before
> > > hdparm or be triggered by hdparm somehow.
> > >
> > > Since i have several machines at home, i compile my LFS on one and
> > > then transfer them to the others. Having all of the module
> > > information in one file is really the preferred option for me so
> > > that is why i would hate to put modprobes in the bootscipts for
> > > these.
> > >
> > > I am running linux-2.6 btw.
> > >
> > > I have been trying different approaches to get it to work, but
> > > here is one that i just dont fathm why doesnt work:
> > >
> > > alias char-major-3 via82cxxx
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any ideas?
> >
> > Are we running on ide disks, and asking it to load  (ide) disk
> > drivers from an ide disk? I don't like that.
>
> Why not?

Compile a kernel with ide support as a module and try booting on an ide
disk on it ;-) It's a catch-22 thing. The kernel needs the module to see
the disk, but the module is on the disk :-/

> The only problem ive had are the kernel oopses, but i dont think that
> is the problem because i can make both of my controllers oops on
> command (see other mail).
Actually, mails have a very short lifespan here :-)

> The modules are being loaded from the via
> controller and then it doesnt make sence if the second controller goes
> oops. If im wrong, please enlighten me. I really am not all that
> knowledgeable about the internals of these things.

You have 2 ide controllers? And you want to run ide as a kernel module?
That's brave.  How does it start? Or do you have scsi and ide?

> > Compile it in and stop messing. BTW, I run a via chipset and it runs
> > fine for me with no special drivers. If you have a modern board that
> > might not hold - mine's an oldie.
>
> It is an ASUS A7 (first revision of the A7 series i think) athlon
> board.... I dont know if that qualifies it as an oldie. Hmm. Maybe i
> should upgrade the bios... Could that be the problem? Old bios?

I think the problems start with a pci bus faster than 33 Mhz. Then your
kernel has to be 'friends' with it, not just know it's out there
somewhere, if you follow me.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.