SCSI modules

Benoit thunderben at free.fr
Sun Jul 27 11:44:20 PDT 2003

Hi list,

I have an Adaptec AHA3940 UWD PCI-SCSI card with an AIC 7882U chip, and I want to load driver as a module.

So, during kernel compilation, I added :
 - built-in SCSI support (for HDs and CDs),
 - low-level driver aic7xxx as a module

Plus, as indicated in SCSI-2.4-HOWTO, I added "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" in /etc/modules.conf.
I updated "modules.dep" with depmod command, aic7xxx.o is listed inside !

I checked with dmesg if every thing goes well, but I found in boot log :
"
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
"

And I can access my scsi hd !

The most strange is when I type "modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter" (with or without -s -k),
module is loaded and scsi drive is accessible !!

What's wrong ?
Did I missed something ?

Thanks
Benoit