problems with network setup sis900 in 10baseT mode

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Jul 26 15:44:22 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 11:48, Rob van Dam wrote:
> I have a ethernet adsl modem. One computer is connected by a 10 mbit (4
> wires) kabel. When I do a normal startup my ethernet and the switch keep
> auto-negotiating.

Stop screwing around and use an actual ethernet cable.  4 wires is a
_telephone_ cable.  You may have noticed it's got a little extra space
on each side of the connector.  Cat 3/5 ethernet is *8* wires.  No more,
no less.

To get you marginally up to speed, cat 3 cable is suitable for 10base-T,
and cat 5 is suitable for 100base-T.  The cat rating (category) is more
or less related to the number of twists in the pairs of wires that run
through it, because those twists reduce interference.  ...and yes, you
can save yourself headaches by simply buying only cat 5 cables because
they can handle 10base-T just fine.

RJ-11 != RJ-45, m'kay?