Autoloading chipset driver with modules.conf

John Nielsen knoglen at ifrance.com
Sat Jul 26 02:49:11 PDT 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 20:34, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:32:45AM +0200, John Nielsen enlightened us
> thusly
>
> > Hi...
> >
> > I have been trying for quite a long time now to get the IDE chipset
> > drivers (via82cxxx and pdc202xx_old) to load automatically at start up
> > just like we do with NIC's. I know that it is recommended to compile
> > them into the kernel and all, but i really have no need for that and i
> > prefer the module approach.  I guess the ideal thing would be for the
> > modules to be loaded just before hdparm or be triggered by hdparm
> > somehow.
> >
> > Since i have several machines at home, i compile my LFS on one and
> > then transfer them to the others. Having all of the module information
> > in one file is really the preferred option for me so that is why i
> > would hate to put modprobes in the bootscipts for these.
> >
> > I am running linux-2.6 btw.
> >
> > I have been trying different approaches to get it to work, but here is
> > one that i just dont fathm why doesnt work:
> >
> > alias char-major-3 via82cxxx
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Are we running on ide disks, and asking it to load  (ide) disk drivers
> from an ide disk? I don't like that.

Why not?

The only problem ive had are the kernel oopses, but i dont think that is the
problem because i can make both of my controllers oops on command (see other
mail). The modules are being loaded from the via controller and then it
doesnt make sence if the second controller goes oops. If im wrong, please
enlighten me. I really am not all that knowledgeable about the internals of
these things.

> Compile it in and stop messing. BTW, I run a via chipset and it runs
> fine for me with no special drivers. If you have a modern board that
> might not hold - mine's an oldie.

It is an ASUS A7 (first revision of the A7 series i think) athlon board.... I
dont know if that qualifies it as an oldie. Hmm. Maybe i should upgrade the
bios... Could that be the problem? Old bios?

> 	With best Regards,

You too,

> 	Declan Moriarty.

John Nielsen