lm sensors revisited

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 12:23:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:16:31 +0000 (UTC)
jschrod at uni-muenster.de (Jochen Schroeder) wrote:

> I just installed lm_sensors-2.8.0, and I was experiencing the same
> problems Rob had here:
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2003/03/0611.html
>
> I had quite some trouble until I finally I figured out what the
> problem is. I installed my i2c headers from the i2c-2.8.0 package into
>
> /usr/include/linux.i2c because I didn't want to use the default
> /usr/local/include/linux (I don't want to use /usr/local). Now when we
> install lm_sensors we can define the location of the i2c headers.
> Which defaults to /usr/local/include (note no linux) when I set this
> to /usr/include/linux.i2c I get all kind of weird header errors
> similar to the ones experienced by Rob. I had a look into the
> sourcecode in lm_sensors/kernel/busses/ and they have
> #include <linux/i2c.h>
> in there so when I set the location of the i2c-headers to
> /usr/include/linux.i2c/ it is actually looking in
> /usr/include/linux.i2c/linux and because it cannot find them it uses
> the old headers from the kernel sourcetree.
>
> My question is, can this considered to be a bug and should i
> tell the lm_sensors guys, or is this expected behavior and it just
> breaks because we use a weird location for the i2c headers?
> Hope this helps anybody having trouble with lm_sensors next time.

I would consider it a bug if the lmsensors package doesn't have a
"linux" subdirectory under which all headers live - it's akin to someone
preparing a source tarball from within the source directory rather than
from it's parent directory so as untarring it may well clobber files
already present on a user's machine!

Just my 2p

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org