Autoloading chipset driver with modules.conf

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Jul 25 11:34:50 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:32:45AM +0200, John Nielsen enlightened us
thusly
> Hi...
>
> I have been trying for quite a long time now to get the IDE chipset
> drivers (via82cxxx and pdc202xx_old) to load automatically at start up
> just like we do with NIC's. I know that it is recommended to compile
> them into the kernel and all, but i really have no need for that and i
> prefer the module approach.  I guess the ideal thing would be for the
> modules to be loaded just before hdparm or be triggered by hdparm
> somehow.
>
> Since i have several machines at home, i compile my LFS on one and
> then transfer them to the others. Having all of the module information
> in one file is really the preferred option for me so that is why i
> would hate to put modprobes in the bootscipts for these.
>
> I am running linux-2.6 btw.
>
> I have been trying different approaches to get it to work, but here is
> one that i just dont fathm why doesnt work:
>
> alias char-major-3 via82cxxx
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?

Are we running on ide disks, and asking it to load  (ide) disk drivers
from an ide disk? I don't like that.

Compile it in and stop messing. BTW, I run a via chipset and it runs
fine for me with no special drivers. If you have a modern board that
might not hold - mine's an oldie.

I would also try a line like this in modules.conf

alias <device name> via82cxxx
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.