Autoloading chipset driver with modules.conf

John Nielsen knoglen at ifrance.com
Fri Jul 25 02:32:45 PDT 2003

Hi...

I have been trying for quite a long time now to get the IDE chipset drivers
(via82cxxx and pdc202xx_old) to load automatically at start up just like we
do with NIC's. I know that it is recommended to compile them into the kernel
and all, but i really have no need for that and i prefer the module approach.
I guess the ideal thing would be for the modules to be loaded just before
hdparm or be triggered by hdparm somehow.

Since i have several machines at home, i compile my LFS on one and then
transfer them to the others. Having all of the module information in one file
is really the preferred option for me so that is why i would hate to put
modprobes in the bootscipts for these.

I am running linux-2.6 btw.

I have been trying different approaches to get it to work, but here is one
that i just dont fathm why doesnt work:

alias char-major-3 via82cxxx

Does anybody have any ideas?

John Nielsen

Btw, i tried to find the old thread to put in this mail again, but the search
engine is being reindexed, so i guess that will have to wait. :-)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org