lm sensors revisited

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Fri Jul 25 01:16:09 PDT 2003

I just installed lm_sensors-2.8.0, and I was experiencing the same
problems Rob had here:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2003/03/0611.html

I had quite some trouble until I finally I figured out what the problem
is. I installed my i2c headers from the i2c-2.8.0 package into
/usr/include/linux.i2c because I didn't want to use the default
/usr/local/include/linux (I don't want to use /usr/local). Now when we
install lm_sensors we can define the location of the i2c headers. Which
defaults to /usr/local/include (note no linux) when I set this to
/usr/include/linux.i2c I get all kind of weird header errors similar to
the ones experienced by Rob. I had a look into the sourcecode in
lm_sensors/kernel/busses/ and they have
#include <linux/i2c.h>
in there so when I set the location of the i2c-headers to
/usr/include/linux.i2c/ it is actually looking in
/usr/include/linux.i2c/linux and because it cannot find them it uses the
old headers from the kernel sourcetree. Solution: either install your
i2c headers somewhere  .../linux/ or alter all files in
lm_sensors-x.x.x/kernel/busses/ so that they have the right include path.
My question is, can this considered to be a bug and should i tell the
lm_sensors guys, or is this expected behavior and it just breaks because
we use a weird location for the i2c headers?
Hope this helps anybody having trouble with lm_sensors next time.

Cheers
Jochen

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org