OT: Declan and quantum physics

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Jul 24 12:58:58 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 03:54, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> >
> > phase1, phase2, phase3 would imply a 3 phase circuit. I don't have a 3
> > phase supply.
>
> Then why call them phases? Or did someone else add that in later...?

Because when life _really_ wants to throw you a curve, and you're about
to start a nice set of ambient with computer generated audio-visuals,
you can find out the hard way that the damn warehouse is wired for
phased power...  so instead of 120VAC @ 60Hz, neutral and earth, you get
120VAC @ 60Hz, a _second_ 120VAC @ 60Hz 180 degrees out of phase with
it, and an earth... yielding a grand total of 240VAC across the two
non-ground connections.  (Weirdly, my monitor and PC dealt with it
fine.  My UPS and line conditioner however, made for a beautiful if
brief pyrotechnic display... much briefer than the pyrotechnics that
ensued after I got ahold of the site electrician.)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org