hotplug and 8139too

Oliver Martin oliver.martin at i-one.at
Thu Jul 24 06:13:30 PDT 2003

Hello,
I've got a problem with hotplug: whenever I insert my Edimax 4103dl
CardBus NIC into my laptop, it tries loading 8139cp and fails as the
card needs 8139too. I compiled both because I wasn't sure which one my
card needed. When I modprobe 8139too manually, it works fine. Also,
blacklisting or renaming 8139cp doesn't make it load 8139too: it just
doesn't load anything then. As a quick fix, I've replaced hotplug's
default pci.agent with a script that loads 8139too and runs
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup eth0. That works when I really
_hot_plug the card, but I haven't got coldplugging to work as described
on the linux-hotplug page. When I configure their /etc/init.d/hotplug
script to be loaded at startup, it just spits out error messages. And,
of course, when I force it to insert the 8139too module, it complains
about missing hardware when the card isn't inserted. Has anyone got
hotplug to work correctly, or are there any alternatives that can handle
CardBus cards?

Thanks in advance,
--
Oliver