OT: Declan and quantum physics

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jul 24 03:37:22 PDT 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:58:47 +0000 (UTC)
> dagmar.wants at nospam.com (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:
>

>>>'phase' neutral and earth?
>>>
>>>what next? john fred and mary?
>>>
>>>why do people insist on silly names?
>>
>>Those aren't silly names for them.  Those words perfectly describe
>>what's on each wire.
>

> huh?
>
> 3 phase is supplied with each wire carrying a signal 120 degrees out of phase from the previous one.
>
> neutral is normally grounded at the local substation
>
> earth is supposed to be ground, locally.
>
> phase - what is that supposed to mean? relative to what?
>
> perhaps the USA uses earth and neutral to mean different things? or perhaps 3 phase is different in the US to anywhere else?
>
> or did you mean john fred and mary did a good job of describing the functions?
>
> It *is* nice to be able to actually get 3-phase into the home (if thats what you actually get in the USA). Here we only get 1 phase, albeit at 240V so we dont need another just to run the washer-drier...
>
> My dad actually runs a lathe (full size heavy metalwork lathe) on our standard mains.

Ian you would be perfectly right if we'd be talking about 3 phase power
supply here, but we are just talking about a normal 1 phase supply,
where we have a ground an earth and the plus, which is usualy called
phase (at least in german). Now I agree thaat phase is not a really good
name (phase to what?) but this is what it is called by convention (at
least here in germany)

Jochen

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org