Looking for opinions

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Jul 24 01:41:47 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:55, Guy Benson wrote:
> Hi, list,
>
> I recently upgraded to an LFS system running with glibc 2.3.2 and kernel
> 2.4.20. Now, for a number of reasons, I would like to start using the
> 2.4.21 kernel. I actually built and installed the 2.4.21 kernel.
> However, when running 2.4.21, my RAID tools don't work properly:
> specifically, ioctl() returns a device size of zero. There might be
> other things broken, as well.
>
> So, I was thinking about recompiling glibc 2.3.2 against the 2.4.21
> headers backwards compatible to 2.4.20 (since I want to keep that kernel
> around just in case). Does anybody see a problem with installing this
> recompiled glibc over top the "old" glibc? I, personally, don't think it
> would be a problem, since its the same glibc version. But, I wanted to
> get some opinions before I hose my system.

Those particular headers only do anything when you're compiling.  For
runtime stuff, they don't even need to be there.  However, they _should_
be from the version of the kernel that was being used when glibc was
built.  (I.e., you don't upgrade those things when you upgrade the
kernel).

In any case, diff the two and you'll see remarkably little difference
between them.

Before you go to all that trouble (and after you've made sure your
.config file from 2.4.20 and your .config from 2.4.21 match up), just
rebuild your RAID tools.  It's more likely that the kernel change upset
them than it is that there's something up with glibc.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org