OT: Declan and quantum physics

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jul 23 16:35:16 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:58:47 +0000 (UTC)
dagmar.wants at nospam.com (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:

> > 'phase' neutral and earth?
> >
> > what next? john fred and mary?
> >
> > why do people insist on silly names?
>
> Those aren't silly names for them.  Those words perfectly describe
> what's on each wire.

huh?

3 phase is supplied with each wire carrying a signal 120 degrees out of phase from the previous one.

neutral is normally grounded at the local substation

earth is supposed to be ground, locally.

phase - what is that supposed to mean? relative to what?

perhaps the USA uses earth and neutral to mean different things? or perhaps 3 phase is different in the US to anywhere else?

or did you mean john fred and mary did a good job of describing the functions?

It *is* nice to be able to actually get 3-phase into the home (if thats what you actually get in the USA). Here we only get 1 phase, albeit at 240V so we dont need another just to run the washer-drier...

My dad actually runs a lathe (full size heavy metalwork lathe) on our standard mains.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org