.ko modules and DRI problems

esaul esaul at reggaetrain.com
Wed Jul 23 11:09:49 PDT 2003

I tried it all kinds of ways:
modifying the makefile in the xc tree to include
"obj-m := tdfx_drv.o
module-objs :=  tdfx_driver.o tdfx_io.o tdfx_hwcurs.o tdfx_accel.o
tdfx_dga.o tdfx_priv.o tdfx_sli.o "

I consulted the LWN article on that ( http://lwn.net/Articles/21823/ )
I wrote and re-wrote the Makefile in different ways, and ran "make -C
/usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=$PWD modules" , but it *never* compiles this way!
It does compile, however, if I just issue a simple "make", but the
resulting module (tdfx_drv.o) wouldn't load in the 2.5.74 kernel.

I followed your advice, and got the "drivers" subdiretcory from the xc CVS
tree. Honestly, I am confused. It contains the Imakefile, but to run imake
(which creates Makefile), I had to put this directory in the xc tree. It
didn't work, of course. So I tried it with the modified old Makefile, and
the Makefiles that I wrote, and lo, it didn't work.
I get errors like this:
/10G/builds/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/tdfx/tdfx.h:284: syntax
error before "pScrn"
/10G/builds/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/tdfx/tdfx.h:287:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/10G/builds/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/tdfx/tdfx.h:288: syntax
error before "pScrn"
. . .

Should I run 'make' from a different build directory? I'll try that, but
somehow I am not optimistic.
Also, X creates a module called tdfx_drv.o, but the kernel is expecting
tdfx.ko. Is it safe to rename it? I know that eventually I'll figure this
out, but I would appreciate it if someone who's done this before could
enlighten me.

Spasibo, Thanx.

Oops, I posted it as a separate thread, sorry for that.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org