[OT] CPU fans & heat (was Editing PDFs - perhaps scribus?)

Dan Osterrath do3 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jul 23 13:55:04 PDT 2003

Am Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2003 16:35 schrieb Ian Molton:
> > IIRC the cpus slow down when hot
> nah, its not the thermal throttling, that system is asynchronous.

My Intel Celeron 1200 (dekstop version) inside of my laptop slows down when
getting too hot. (i.e. when the fan slots are covered)
And my Athlon XP-M 2000 does so, too.

AFAIK, in desktop cpus only Intel slows down as an overheating protection.
Thats why AMD desktop cpus often get burned when some dummies try to install
their new cpu and fan by themself. :-)
Modern mobile cpus have this feature inside too for saving energy and protect
them of overheating.

%> ln -s /dev/null /dev/brain
%> ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/world
%> dd if=/dev/world of=/dev/brain