OT: Declan and quantum physics

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Jul 23 09:18:38 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:58:09AM -0600, Stephen Bosch enlightened us
thusly

> >The voltage theory above is innaccurate. It is a voltage rise caused
> >by inductor and starter on switch on.
>
> Yeah, but if it's got a ballast, there's a massive inrush current, and
> that can cause a brief voltage drop on the mains side of the circuit.
> Like when you start a motor and the lights dim briefly (or like that
> flimmer you get when running a laser printer).

All correct. But I can watch when the pc reboots, and it reboots in line
with the starter going o/c. It's only rebooting it the odd time now.
When I found the cpu thing, I tried a coulpe of times as it was waiting
for a bios password.

This is all going on in my workshop. I have a feed for mains input which
brings phase, neutral and earth through a three phase circuit breaker.
This is handy, as the circuit breaker provides 100% isolation and allows
soldering of the unit under test without fuss or bother (No neutral-->
earth faults).

I have switched on dead shorts occasionally without rebooting that pc.
I'm not worried about inrush ;-)

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.