OT: Declan and quantum physics

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Jul 23 08:58:09 PDT 2003

Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> This got to me.
>
> "All these software guys trying to teach a hardware guy his job" I
> thought, and took a look.
>
> 5V & 3.3V lines are fine and rock steady. CPU is hot but OK; CPU fan in
> business, but something none would have guessed - the cpu socket has
> broken where the clip holding the heatsink latches on. No obvious or
> semi obvious gunther to get that sorted springs to my agile mind.

I solved a very similar problem to this once by using a plastic cable
tie that I (somehow) threaded underneath the CPU socket. This worked
well for quite a while.

Of course, it wasn't my machine, so I don't know if it's still alive now.

I had a friend whose computer started doing all kinds of extremely
bizarre ***t, and finally began smoking. He later discovered his
processor had incinerated itself. Why? Well, the fan failed. Why? Well,
it threw three fan blades.

Don't ask me how that happened. By the way, that was not the machine
that had been Macgyvered with a cable tie.

> The compile is continuing with the side off the box. It is hot.
>
> The voltage theory above is innaccurate. It is a voltage rise caused by
> inductor and starter on switch on.

Yeah, but if it's got a ballast, there's a massive inrush current, and
that can cause a brief voltage drop on the mains side of the circuit.
Like when you start a motor and the lights dim briefly (or like that
flimmer you get when running a laser printer).

-Stephen-

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org