Editing PDFs

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Jul 23 01:34:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:58:01PM +0800, Ng, Wey-Han enlightened us
thusly
> Quoting "Declan. Moriarty" <declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie>:
>
> > I'm nearly as bad with a w.p. as I am with config files. I was
> > hoping
>
> That being the case, I don't think I can help you more then I already
> have.
>
> > for an automated way around that. This was one particular need for
> > one particular person. The only pdf editor I am aware of is acrobat.
> > And acrobat is one of those words like mocrosoft and gif that you do
> > a double-take with every time to see if saying it is going to cost
> > you money ;-)
>
> I agree, but I also feel that most of the time, some effort on oneself
> is necessary to break free of this unfortunate situation. Don't you
> think so?

OK. Let's be straight, and talk about the particular application.

This was a form for Canadian immigration in 2 halves; One to be filled
in Canada, and one here by me.

I can open OO or some other editor of your choice and try to copy the
bounding boxes and fonts; Time estimate - 3 hours. I can scan it as a
bitmap of some format (Time estimate - 10 minutes and one crash in
windows, because sane isn't on this yet. I can buy Acrobat, and open it
there, I presume; Estimate 150USD (inc carriage) and two crashes in
windoze. I was willing to put in the work; What should I have done?

Speaking candidly, the L A S T thing I wanted to do was buy acrobat on
principle. But it would have been the smart business approach - I'd have
it there for next time I wanted to hack/create a pdf.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org