[OT] Re: Editing PDFs

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Tue Jul 22 21:12:07 PDT 2003

Arindam Dey wrote:
> --- "Ng, Wey-Han" <meehoon at pd.jaring.my> thus
> hollered:
>
> [snip]
>     > No. OO 1.1RC can *export* to pdf not *save* to
>
>     pdf.
>     > Huge difference.
>     >
>     > --
>     > Han.
>
> [snip]
>
> Just one question
>
> Could you elaborate on the difference between export
> and save as PDF.....

When I export a file, I am making a copy of the file information and
saving it in a specific format. When I 'save as', I am changing the
format under which I edit the file (even though I also end up with two
files).

To make this apparent, make a file, then 'save as' under another name.
You will see the name in the title bar change, and from that point
forward you will be editing the file (using the new name or format).

Exporting is generally a one-time procedure that converts the file into
a format to be 'exported' to another person or system. For example, it
is not possible to edit the PDF in OpenOffice once it has been exported.
An export will not change the name of the file that you see in the title
bar of the window.

-Stephen-

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org