Editing PDFs

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Mon Jul 21 12:22:36 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:04:53PM -0600, Stephen Bosch enlightened us
thusly
> Declan. Moriarty wrote:
> >What's the handiest way of doing this? Google is fairly unproductive
> >on this. My particular application was to open a form in pdf format,
> >write in information in the blanks, and write it again as a pdf.
> >Everything seems to want to convert or divert pdfs, not process them.
>
> I always wince when I hear this -- many people want to do this, but in
> fact there's already an Adobe PDF-compatible format designed to do
> this -- Adobe Forms. The nice thing about the PFF is that there is
> space in the protocol for modifiable blanks and the like.

What are you telling me? That the form should have been created
differently?

> >Gs I have, and Acroread. Gs supplies pdf2ps, and ps2pdf, as well as
> >pdfopt, which optimises the things sizewise, I gather. So I could go
> >this route: pdf --> ps --> editor --> ps --> pdf --> pdfopt, but you
> >who know me will realise that I, my fonts, or locales would fall over
> >somewhere on that route ;-).  I presume there is a wsyiwsg ps file
> >editor somewhere in linux?
>
> PS is very messy (ever looked at postscript code?)... I don't know of
> one (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just unlikely -- especially if you
> have hunted already in vain).

Er, I did look at postscript code. I got page after page of it when a
certain print program was loaded (mentioning no software by name :).
And you are right - it is very messy.

Everything can write to ps. They call it printing; can nothing read it?
Can gs output an editable format (like rtf)?

When I googled selectively I got nothing: nada; Zero. When I googled
less selectively, I got tripe. There's a lot of tripe on the Internet.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org