which revisions should I use

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Mon Jul 21 03:42:51 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 11:21:28AM +0100, Jeff Surgeson enlightened us
thusly
> Hi
>
> I managed to trash my bfs system when recompiling the kernel [dont ask
> what I did]

Congratulations ;-). We might have been able to sirt it. Never mind,
this will be good for you :)

> so thought I would start all over again from scratch as I
> had orginaly used lfs book ver 4.00 and wanted to start again with the
> latest verion 4.1, my question is.  When compiling following the blfs
> book versions is it 100% essential that I use the revisions of
> software stated in the books or should I use the latest revisions if
> there are any?

I asked this one myself as a newbie. If the instructions for
package-4.3.7 work when package-4.3.8 is released, the page isn't
updated. When thay break it is. So don't worry about most things.

Use the latest of most things. Use the latest glibc and think very
carefully about gcc, because to judge by the problems, every version
seems great until they find this weird new problem with it, which the
next one fixes. They sound more like experimental kernels :-/.

An increasing number of people are using 2 versions of gcc.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org