Locales?

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Mon Jul 21 00:27:25 PDT 2003

Erika Pacholleck wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
> > in fact /usr/lib/locale does not even exist unless you make it yourself or
> > ask glibc to regenerate all the locales, which you can achive yourself by
> > typing something like:
> > mkdir /usr/lib/locale
> > localedef -i en_GB -f ISO-8859-1 en_GB
> > which will create the file /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive AND NOTHING ELSE
> wrong, this only affects glibc version from and with 2.3.1, versions
> before that are keeping locales in lang_TERR.charset directories with
> each category being a file on its own. And newer ones can easily be
> forced to do the old style.

ok, so my setup is correct then, as i use glibc-2.3.2

> > i test my en_GB setup by first typing `ls' and seeing if CAPITALS affect the
> > sorting order,
> For en_GB it might not matter but a correct ls output needs LC_COLLATE
> set to the locale, sorting does not only mean *if* but *how* capitals
> are affected.

yes, but this test lets me know if this has worked or not, and since it DOES
affect the output in the way i expect it to, it lets me know that my setup is
correct. its just a simple test for piece of mind, nothing more.

thanks!
Sam
--
'Luck is my middle name,' said Rincewind, indistinctly. 'Mind you, my first name
is Bad.'