XDM/bash profile hints to people

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 20 23:03:30 PDT 2003

Sam Halliday said the following on 07/20/03 01:56:
> more...

(thanks for your scripts. Will study them intensively and steal whatever
I can from them :)

> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>The only thing that still bothers me about XDM is that it isn't linked against
>>Xft2 and that it doesn't have a shutdown/console switch function. GDM and KDM
>>have too many dependencies for what they offer above XDM IMHO.
>

> i agree about XFT, GDM and KDM. i wonder if they will ever use XFT2 in xdm?
> nice... but eye candy lets face it ;-)

Well I'd rather call it GUI-consistency. Besides, XDM is allready rather
slow in XFree86-4.3.0 (I plan on getting a 4.2 or even 4.1 from Debian,
perhaps it will shave off some startup time).

> about the shutdown button... this is possible! the script Xsetup_0 is run as
> root every time xdm is refreshed, so all you need is a simple standalone X
> button (and start it in the script) with the colours set _just right), and
> clicking on it will shutdown the computer. but this `open for anyone to
> shutdown' option may not be what most people desire! i prefer to shutdown the
> computer from the commandline as i have permissions set for who i want to be
> able to poweroff and reboot from there.

Yeah probably better, but it would still be nice because it saves you
the terminal switch/login procedure. Best would be a shutdown button
which asks for a password before shutting down. How can you set an X
button in Xsetup? (without writing the button in C because I only know
some limited shell scripting...:))

> console switch? whats wrong with Alt-Ctrl-F1 ;-) anyone who _wants_ to login on
> a vc/? will know how to do this.

I'd like to disable Alt-Ctrl-F1 through /etc/X11/XF86Config and set a
password-protected button for it, similarly to the above shutdown sequence.

> the only thing i think xdm is missing, is the choice of locale/window manager at
> login time. but ~/.xsession does achive this functionality in a very unix way
> [i.e. no eye candy]. this is probably possible, i maybe missed a doc or
> something somewhere.

I don't change WM much, and probably like most people, I'd prefer not to
switch. So .xsession seems appropriate IMHO.

> btw, i seen this program recently, but its relatively new, so i dont know how
> much to trust my stable system on it:
>
>   http://qingy.sourceforge.net

Cool, gonna try that one :)

--