More Exim configuration

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Jul 20 16:58:38 PDT 2003

> Hi there!
>
> I'm still unlucky with exim... When I try to use fetchmail (which is
> configured correctly, at least I suppose, because that same
> configuration works fine with exim3.35 in another linux installation),
> it can't connect on port 25 and quits. The error message reads like
>
> fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
> fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
> fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/bin/procmail
> -d %T#********************************* flushed
>
> There's no entry in the exim logs about that... well, we expected
> that, right?
>
> I CAN send email, to all the web ;) Sending locally makes trouble, I
> can send to pips at localhost, but trying to send to pips results in exim
> trying to send to pips at web.de. I don't see why, though...
>
> You could read my configuration file at
> www.pipsfrank.de/exim.conf. Here's the entry from my xinetd.conf:
>
> service smtp
> {
>         socket_type     = stream
>         protocol        = tcp
>         wait            = no
>         user            = exim
>         server          = /usr/sbin/tcpd
>         server_args     = /usr/sbin/exim -bs
> }
>
> I have no clue what's going on. I'd be grateful for any hint. Does
> anyone know a good source for configuring exim? I find the docs at
> exim.org are very hard to read...

Well first off, you shouldn't run your SMTP server thru (x)inetd - it's
not designed to be run that way.

Take a look at the exim section of BLFS for more info.

As for why sending local to pips results in an attempt to send to
pips at web.de, that's a function of your qualify_domain line in your
exim.conf.

Hope this helps!

BTW, if you need more help on Exim, you can catch me personally - most
of the others here use either Postfix or Sendmail.  I think I'm one of
the few who regularly use Exim in LFS.

-J-

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org