More Exim configuration

Philipp Frank Philipp.Frank at web.de
Sun Jul 20 16:08:47 PDT 2003

Hi there!

I'm still unlucky with exim... When I try to use fetchmail (which is
configured correctly, at least I suppose, because that same
configuration works fine with exim3.35 in another linux installation),
it can't connect on port 25 and quits. The error message reads like

fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: can't raise the listener; falling back to /usr/bin/procmail
-d %T#********************************* flushed

There's no entry in the exim logs about that... well, we expected
that, right?

I CAN send email, to all the web ;) Sending locally makes trouble, I
can send to pips at localhost, but trying to send to pips results in exim
trying to send to pips at web.de. I don't see why, though...

You could read my configuration file at
www.pipsfrank.de/exim.conf. Here's the entry from my xinetd.conf:

service smtp
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = exim
        server          = /usr/sbin/tcpd
        server_args     = /usr/sbin/exim -bs
}

I have no clue what's going on. I'd be grateful for any hint. Does
anyone know a good source for configuring exim? I find the docs at
exim.org are very hard to read...

Cheers
Philipp
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org