Locales?

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Sun Jul 20 04:10:50 PDT 2003

this thread make me think my setup is incorrect...

Declan Moriarty wrote:
> dec:~$ls /usr/lib/locale/de_DE at euro
> LC_ADDRESS LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_MONETARY LC_PAPER
> LC_COLLATE LC_MEASUREMENT LC_NAME LC_TELEPHONE
> LC_CTYPE LC_MESSAGES/ LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME
>
> Apparently glibc can barf on the locales, and you don't notice it.
>
> If you have all those, then ignore me prattling away here

surely there should be NO localised .mo files in /usr/lib/locale, but only in
/usr/share/locale. that is where all my locales are kept (for programs as well
as glibc).

in fact /usr/lib/locale does not even exist unless you make it yourself or ask
glibc to regenerate all the locales, which you can achive yourself by typing
something like:

   mkdir /usr/lib/locale
   localedef -i en_GB -f ISO-8859-1 en_GB

which will create the file /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive AND NOTHING ELSE
containing all your localised glibc stuff (individual files, i understand read
the .mo files directly from /usr/share/locale). i always delete anything else
lurky in /usr/lib/locale

i test my en_GB setup by first typing `ls' and seeing if CAPITALS affect the
sorting order, and then i check the messages by `ls --vert` (which does not
exist) to see if "unrecognised" is spelt the british or american way.

please tell me if i am incorrect!

cheers,
Sam
--
Time to fertilise the lawn. A couple of 500-pound bags should do it!
-- Homer Simpson