.ko modules and DRI problems

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jul 19 14:56:17 PDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, esaul wrote:

> This one box, I am working on, wouldn't boot with anything but a 2.5
> kernel due to a problem with hda. I am gonna throw it away, but for now I
> have to accept that I can only use a development kernel.
> My concern is with the DRI:
>
> X log is fine:
>
> . . .
>
> (II) TDFX(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
> (II) TDFX(0): [DRI] installation complete
> (==) TDFX(0): Direct rendering enabled

> glxinfo:
>
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No

> So, I think that if maybe I manage to compile a tdfx.ko module from the X
> sources, this problem will go away?
> I would be perfectly happy, if I just got the kernel module to work right as
> well.
> I searched over and over, but I can't find where anyone had talked about a
> similar predicament. I've had much slower boxes produce better, faster
> graphics. Help! I just got a 21 inch monitor, and I can't show it off
> since even xscreensaver is jerky.

 I'm assuming that .ko modules are the new-style modules which break
modutils ?  I know nothing about how to persuade X to build a .ko
instead of a .o (I haven't built 2.5 since before this change), but a
quick search on google suggests there is a Makefile.build script in the
kernel scripts directory, and within that is something I don't
understand ending $(obj-m:.o=.ko).  At a guess, this is telling the make
process to create the object modules as .ko instead of .o, in which case
I think all you need to do is

1. build the XFree dri module with the same compiler as you used for the
kernel, giving a .o in the XFree tree (if you need help on this, check
search.linuxfromscratch.org for XFree DRI - I posted in April this year,
somebody gave me a one-liner which should rebuild most of the modules,
then Kelledin posted a link to a tarball for building only modules with
a corrected Makefile).

2. save your existing module under another name, just in case, and copy
the module from X to /lib/modules/wherever changing the suffix to .ko .

HTH

Ken
--
You'll always find me out to lunch