Locales?

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Sat Jul 19 14:43:54 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:46:57PM +0200, Philipp Frank enlightened us thusly
> Hi again :)
>
> I need german characters for xchat, for I'm hanging around in
> german chatrooms... so... what do I have to do? I tried to set
> "LANG=de_DE" and "LC_ALL=de", but I just get "locale not supporte
> by c-library, falling back to standard C" or something like that...
> I'm pretty sure that I have all the locales from the glib, my
> /usr/share/locale and /usr/lib/locale are really stuffed...
>
> The german-HOWTO was of no help, so, does anybody know what to do?
> If I have to change more than just xchat, well, that's ok too, if
> just anybody can give me any hint, everything from google is very
> specific to distributions...

I've just been round the houses with this one. Do you want 17 mails on
the subject from last month's archives. Look for  "Re: What do I
recompile?"

You could cut straight to the solution: Try
ls /usr/lib/locale/de_DE

dec:~$ls /usr/lib/locale/de_DE at euro
LC_ADDRESS  LC_IDENTIFICATION  LC_MONETARY  LC_PAPER
LC_COLLATE  LC_MEASUREMENT     LC_NAME      LC_TELEPHONE
LC_CTYPE    LC_MESSAGES/       LC_NUMERIC   LC_TIME

Apparently glibc can barf on the locales, and you don't notice it.

If you have all those, then ignore me prattling away here

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org