.ko modules and DRI problems

esaul esaul at reggaetrain.com
Sat Jul 19 11:00:04 PDT 2003

This one box, I am working on, wouldn't boot with anything but a 2.5
kernel due to a problem with hda. I am gonna throw it away, but for now I
have to accept that I can only use a development kernel.
My concern is with the DRI:

X log is fine:

. . .

(==) TDFX(0): Backing store disabled
(==) TDFX(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) TDFX(0): DPMS enabled
(II) TDFX(0): X context handle = 0x00000001
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(II) TDFX(0): [DRI] installation complete
(==) TDFX(0): Direct rendering enabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
 . . .

glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
 . . .

So, I think that if maybe I manage to compile a tdfx.ko module from the X
sources, this problem will go away?
I would be perfectly happy, if I just got the kernel module to work right as
well.
I searched over and over, but I can't find where anyone had talked about a
similar predicament. I've had much slower boxes produce better, faster
graphics. Help! I just got a 21 inch monitor, and I can't show it off
since even xscreensaver is jerky.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org