Problem getting 16 Colors to work in Pine [NOTABUG]

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Jul 19 12:20:45 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 16:29, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 7/17/2003 5:41 PM, Ian Molton wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:46:49 +0000 (UTC)
> > dagmar.wants at nospam.com (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:
> >
> >> Which for
> >> the linux console is 8 and isn't a joke.  :/  (It displays without the
> >> last 8 on my fb console as well--the console just isn't ANSI)
> >
> > which is odd because the acornfb driver happily managesd 16 colours.
> > perhaps the TTY layers are mistaken?
> >

> I'll have to dig more into that.  I've been attempting to grok the atyfb
> recently due to buggy accel code.

I suspect he's more or less correct.  The drab text console never had
much in the way of capabilities because of the lowest common demoninator
issues, and the fb console is just using a different display device for
the same old stuff.  There _may_ be a way to get around this (I *think*
I've come across 256-color text demos using the fb device) but it would
almost assuredly involve installing a new termcap (*kof* ncurses) entry.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org