Tinny or huge mistake ?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Jul 19 12:20:31 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 05:36, thunderben at free.fr wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Yesterday I tried to compile a module (namely 8139too).
> In the Makefile a variable have to be filled with the include path according to
> the kernel,
> such as "/usr/src/<linux-version>/include/".
>
> The problem that there is no <linux-version> in my /usr/src dir, so I re-read
> my notes and
> discovered I deleted it !
>
> Is it a tinny mistake with a known workaround, or a huge one and I have to re-
> compile my kernel ???
> Does this dir is often needed ?

Use the module supplied by the kernel[1], not the one you got from
Realtek's site or wherever.  (Definitely the #1 mistake with
8139-chipset NICs)

[1] I swear it works fine... the last time I built a firewall with one
of those in it, which was over a year ago, it was only after the machine
was working and I was stress-testing it that I remembered people *used*
to have problems with that chipset because the module wasn't in the
kernel.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org