2 little gnome2 issues left

Guido Schimmels guido.schimmels at freenet.de
Fri Jul 18 22:03:05 PDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:06:35 -0500
DJ Lucas <dj at lucasit.com> wrote:

> Okay..my magic tiny title bar disapeared on it's own when I recreated my
> .xinitrc.  In both of them (old and new), all _two_ lines of it look
> identical to me, but who knows :-/  Anyhow I get a couple of small
> annoying errors now.  They are not major, but more a nusance.
>
> For the possibility of error, my .xinitrc contains only this:
>
> exec metacity &
> exec gnome-session
>

> On the console that I entered "startx", I get the following error:
> -----
> Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session
> manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER
> environment variable not defined

Sure metacity can't connect to the session-manager when the latter is
not running!
Metacity must be startet *after* gnome-session. Which WM to run is part
of the gnome-session preferences. So remove the first line from your
.xinitrc. If gnome-session doesn't start metacity by itself initially, go
to a console, type:
$ metacity&
$ gnome-sessions-save

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org