2 little gnome2 issues left

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Fri Jul 18 20:06:35 PDT 2003

Okay..my magic tiny title bar disapeared on it's own when I recreated my
.xinitrc.  In both of them (old and new), all _two_ lines of it look
identical to me, but who knows :-/  Anyhow I get a couple of small
annoying errors now.  They are not major, but more a nusance.

For the possibility of error, my .xinitrc contains only this:

exec metacity &
exec gnome-session

On the console that I entered "startx", I get the following error:
-----
Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session
manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER
environment variable not defined

gconf-sanity-check-2 did not pass, logging back out

waiting for X server to shut down

[root at name1 root]#
/-----

Then, on 7, where X starts, I see the standard grey X background, and
a gnome window, with my current theme settings, who's title is "Error",
and the only option is to click close:
-----
Please contact your system administrator to resolve the following
problem:
Could not resolve the address"xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" in the
configuration file "/etc/gnome/gconf/2/path": Failed to lock
"/root/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend-lock/ior": possibly another process has
the lock, or your operating system has NFS file locking misconfigured
(Resource temporarily unavailible)
/-----

This only happens after a reboot.  Now the next time I start X, on the
console where I started it, I see the following message, but everything
seems to work just fine, except my windows do loose placement on the
next startup:

-----
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 18 21:31:57 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session
manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER
environment variable not defined
SESSION_MANAGER=local/name1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/196

** (gnome-panel:217): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

** Message: warning: this version of gmix was compiled with a different
version
of
soundcard.h.
/-----

Anybody got any ideas?  BTW, a new kernel was built, that probably
explains the problem with soundcard.h if alsa does any kind of replacement.

Thanks in advance,

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org